It’s time for a look back over the past (few) week(s), and to see what’s coming up. This feature is based on the original Clock Rewinders on a Book Binge.
Last Week(s) on the Bookcase
It’s the Australia Day long weekend and it’s been raining for the last three days… not the best weather for a holiday but good for hanging about inside and reading!
Speaking of Australia Day, have you entered the Australia Day Book Giveaway? There are plenty of other Aussie blogs taking part too and entries will close tonight so make sure you get yours in to win!
A big congrats must go to Ruth from My Devotional Thoughts, for winning my part of the No Strings Attached giveaway hop last week! She chose a pre-order of Scarlet, Marissa Meyer – I hope you enjoy it.
I’ve had a whirlwind of a couple of weeks. After reading sooo much during Bout of books (over 1700 pages!), I had visitors in town last week and barely read anything! On top of that I’m now run down and feeling sickly, but at least I’ve got this rainy long weekend to relax in and try to catch up on my review backlog…
Reviews (since the last CR):
- Scent of Magic, Maria V Snyder – 4 stars
- Under the Never Sky, Veronica Rossi – 4.5 stars – really enjoyed this one!
- Graceling, Kristin Cashore – 3.5 stars – A ya fantasy that I didn’t enjoy as much as others.
- The Last Dragonslayer, Jasper Fforde – 3 stars – A middle-grade fantasy that, while funny and had fantastic world-building, lacked in the character department.
Around the Community
- Here’s one for the writers – the cover has been revealed for the upcoming Seventh Star Press release – Writers Workshop of Science Fiction and Fantasy. There are some amazing contributors to this collection of essays and interviews, including Neil Gaiman, Orson Scott Card, Harry Turtledove, James Gunn, Alan Dean Foster, Ursula K. Le Guin, and more! It sounds like it will be a terrific resource and inspiration for spec-fic writers out there.
- Are you listed on the Book Blogger List? This fairly new site looks like a well-organised list of book bloggers of all different types! It’s very easy to sign up and my listing was updated almost immediately.
- And without having the time to catch up on my reader or do much netsurfing, that’s all I’ve got. Sorry 🙁
I also got a few review books in one go – I really should stop blogging and go get reading!
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, the Prisoner of Azkaban, the Goblet of Fire, the Half-Blood Prince and the Order of the Phoenix, JK Rowling
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard, JK Rowling
- The Scorpio Races, Maggie Steifvater – an uncorrected proof copy!
- Foundling, DM Cornish (yes, I already read it. But I loved it!)
- Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen #1), Steven Erikson – Okay this wasn’t from the book fest, but was $5 in a sale.. how can I say no?
- Firebrand, Gillian Philip – from Netgalley
- Lizzie Speare and the Cursed Tomb, Ally Malinenko – from the author, thanks!
- Black Swan Rising, Lee Carroll – from Netgalley
- The Scrivener’s Tale, Fiona McIntosh – from Edelweiss
- The Cypher (Guardians Inc #1), Julian Rosado-Machain – for an upcoming tour
Library loot (I really really should ban myself from going there)
- The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1), Lemony Snicket – I’ve seen the movie but not read the books.
- Star Wars: Scoundrels, Timothy Zahn – a story about Han, Chewie and Lando? Yes please!
Bitter Greens, Kate Forsyth
Charlotte-Rose de la Force has been banished from court by the Sun King, Louis XIV, after a series of scandalous love affairs. She is comforted by an old nun, Sœur Seraphina, who tells her the tale of a young girl who, a hundred years earlier, is sold by her parents for a handful of Bitter Greens …
I’ve constantly heard great things about this book, so when I saw it at the library I had to snatch it up. I’ve only just started it but already I’m intrigued by the French court of Louis XVI!
Have a great week everyone!
Oh, your book loot is awesome. I LOVE the Harry Potter series and have read them all several times. I have The Scorpio Races to read, hopefully soon. Black Swan Rising looks great, I will have to check that one out. Happy reading.
Katie ~ My Mailbox
I’m really looking forward to re-reading HP actually! Perhaps I’ll have to put up a schedule so I can see if anyone else wants to join in!
Just joined the book blogger list 😀 Thanks for the suggestion!
Anya recently posted..Taking Notes While Reading
Sweet! I hope it brings you the nice visitors 🙂